Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Singapore Week 2 - Employment Pass

So there are three types of people in Singapore:
1. Singaporeans
2. Expats with an Employment Pass
3. Expats with a Dependent Pass

Nothing against the local Singaporeans - they are so friendly, warm, and helpful - they just aren't the focus of this entry. Through these first-hand experiences, you will understand the difference between a dependent pass holder and employment pass holder.

Week 2 was all about establishing our life in Singapore. Interesting thing, all that really entails is a mobile phone and a bank account [and somewhere to live too - see subsequent posting]. Once those two services are locked down, you can pretty much do anything. The challenge was how to determine which service provider to use and how to get the best deal.

I started with the mobile phone. A new acquaintance in the Accenture Singapore office [also a fellow UMD grad - go Terps!] turned me onto the Accenture corporate discount provided by Starhub. Good deals on minutes, texts, data and even some well-priced devices. I was set. All I had to do was repel the instinct to get the iPhone. With Melissa in my ear about my current Palm Treo and the fact the plan was only a fraction cheaper than the plans in the US, it wasn't that hard. I easily picked out plans for Melissa and me and headed to the closest Starhub retailer to sign up.
"Proof of address," the sales clerk asked.
"What is that?" I replied.
"To prove you have a real address here in Singapore."

Well, I only have a couple of documents at my disposal at this point. One is the lease for our serviced apartment but that has the name of a 3rd party realty company Melissa's company used for the lease. Not the best option. [not to mention I don't have it on me] The other is my temporary pass signed and approved by the Singaporean government. Sounds good, except the address on there is another 3rd party service provider CEB used to handle our passes.
I lay the temporary pass down and say, "here you go."
The clerk replies, "great, is this [address] where you want to have your bills sent?"

I thought for a minute and wrestled with the options here: a) I say 'yes' and my billing address becomes this non-sensical business/agency that will likely toss the first bill and any subsequent mail to me or b) say 'no' and run the risk of trying to provide another form of 'proof of address' that I clearly will not have. So I answered in really the only way I could. "Yes, please." I had hoped to pick up Melissa's phone/plan as well, but unfortunately, the phone was out of stock. I would return.

I returned another day to finish Melissa's transaction and after a painful Q&A, document producing, and slightly stressful explanation process, I was stopped just short of the finish with this statement, "You are only on a Dependent Pass."
The statement was true and I couldn't really see a reason why I should think of an alternate answer, so I confirmed, "yes."

Lesson #1: Dependent Pass holders may only sign up for one mobile phone line.
This is something I wish I had been told from the outset. I was trying to do Melissa a favor by getting her phone situated but being the 2nd class citizen that I am, no dice. Melissa, you're on your own.

Next up was the bank. We were both somewhat ambivalent about which bank to go with, but secretly we both had our preferred option and for very different and not-so rational reasons. Melissa liked UOB because she works in the UOB Plaza and a major branch with several ATMs is in her lobby. I like OCBC for the color scheme, font, and overall marketing image. [I should mention that we both agreed on Citibank from the outset, but once we learned that an account in Singapore could not be linked to an account in the US, there was no reason to pursue.] Since we both live by online banking, I pledged to Melissa to take the online tour of all the major banks to see if there was a differentiator. Following that exercise, UOB was the clear winner.

Next day, I headed into the city with Melissa to get the bank account application started. I signed up for a savings account. I also tried to sign up for a checking account when the bank rep uses a somewhat familiar line, "You are only on a Dependent Pass."

Lesson #2: Dependent Pass holders may only sign up for a savings account, unless the account is to be co-owned. Thankfully Kevin, our bank rep, was very nice and super-helpful. He allowed me to set up the accounts and Melissa just had to swoop in, show here Employment Pass and sign a couple of documents. As an addendum to this lesson [2.a], only EP holders are able to sign up for credit cards as well.

It's a tough life for a Dependent Pass holder. So far, I've not seen special seats reserved for 'Employment Pass holders only' on buses or trains. It's a good thing I'm not prevented from taking a taxi. Melissa has all the freedom and I'm beginning to question if I should even leave the apartment anymore. All will be right in the world soon, once Accenture Singapore figures out what to with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa...what slack size are you? Sean...what dress size are you? Obvious who is currently wearing the pants in your family. What a hoot :-) BING